Make a New Year resolution: boost your SEO
If you’re thinking about New Year resolutions, why not make 2017 the year you do something to boost your website’s SEO?
Your business bottom line will thank you for it.
Why SEO is important
It’s all about being found easily by search engines.
Your website needs to be found by search engine ‘crawlers’ – pieces of code which are tasked with finding fresh content on the internet.
Search engine optimisation (SEO) helps those crawlers see content in the way we humans see it. Its techniques help to translate human attributes into items crawlers can understand.
To rank on the front page of Google for your chosen keywords helps you maximise your chances of your website’s links being clicked by potential customers.
There are two important methods to boost your SEO – organic and paid for advertising.
Creating good SEO for your website by organic means is an excellent longer term strategy.
Don’t expect results for three to six months.
Here are some excellent ways to boost your organic SEO:
- Build backlinks to your site from other sites – from respected sources, customers, and social media.
- Write blogs regularly – search engines are looking for fresh content. Blogs are a great way of providing it while educating your potential customers. Share them widely on social media.
- Help crawlers see your site – use a tool like SEO Quake to look at each page on it and make the improvements it suggests. It will suggest items like ridding your site of duplicate pages and using structured data – a piece of code which you or your designer can create – to direct crawlers to your site more effectively.
- Use the alt tags on images on your site and blogs to reinforce your keywords and get found more easily online.
- Post regularly on social media – the more you do, the better the rate of clicks through to your site. You increase the number of visitors.
- Use techniques to help keep people on your pages – use video, images, and compelling content to ensure people stay on your pages and visit more than one on your site. That will help you reduce your ‘bounce rate’ – the number of visitors who go to one page and bounce straight back off.
Paid Search (PPC)
Bing adverts and Google Adwords are popular methods of improving the SEO of your site.
Google Adwords is a quick and effective way of ensuring your business is on page one of the Google search results, provided you have the budget to compete for your chosen keywords. Google is the most-used search engine and a great place to start paid SEO campaigns.
To get the best return on your investment, always ask an expert to set up a campaign for you. They will be able to advise you of the best keywords and get you the best click-through rate.
Could we help you manage your SEO or run your Pay Per Click campaigns? We’re experts in pay per click advertising and organic SEO techniques. Drop us an email using our contact form or give us a call on 02 921 286870.